Oh hi. It’s been a while, huh? Let’s catch up. But quickly. How bout some bullet points?
First of all, reflections on some recent posts:
- Oscar Predictions 2012: I was really pleased with how the Oscars ended up. Given the limitations of the nominations, I think the awards were distributed to those who deserved them most (with the exception of George Clooney, perhaps). I get very involved with the whole predictions/support process here, and I fear that it drives me into negativity. Just because I loved Meryl Streep’s performance doesn’t mean I should be anti-Viola Davis leading up to the night. But as much as I know I shouldn’t be, a part of me is. I’m inspired by Woody Allen’s view on the matter and wish I were that cool: “The whole concept of awards is silly. I cannot abide by the judgment of other people, because if you accept it when they say you deserve an award, then you have to accept it when they say you don’t”.
- Challenge: Sugar-Free Seventh Week: Success! It was actually easier to abstain than to restrict. Every time I passed a pastry shop, I felt free because I wouldn’t even have to talk myself out of going in since I had no choice. It was that easy. I felt energized and controlled. Fruit became more of a treat. But okay, I did make an exception, I must confess – My favorite ice cream flavor was available at G&D’s that week, and it only shows up every few months for about a week. Wasn’t going to pass that up. As for today, I still eat more sugar than I should, but I’m working on cutting down.
And some reflections on life in general, since it’s the beginning of term and all:
- I like living in Oxford a lot. I like being able to transport myself by foot and by cycle. I like that I am surrounded by friends with whom I can share my time. I like food shopping and cooking. I like being able to go climbing whenever I want. I like college. Exeter is totally the best.
- Yesterday I tried my first class at YogaVenue, the first in a 14 day consecutive trial pass. 90 minutes of Vinyasa. I was completely challenged and completely drenched in sweat. Today I woke up more sore than I’ve been in who knows when, and while it was a bit difficult to function, I also love the feeling because it means I’m getting stronger, and I love that whole growth aspect of yoga. I was hooked when in my first class ever the instructor explained, “Yoga is about finding your limits and extending them.” Also, I forgot how addictive exercise can be. It’s awesome.
- The days are SO LONG here because they are filled with stuff. Inspired by Tiger Cub Sophia‘s day-in-the-life series this week, I’ve started to keep my own private log of how I spend the hours of my day. Kind of fascinating stuff.
- Got a new computer. An 11″ MacBook Air I’ve named Matilda. She is adorable and so minimalist. I haven’t had the chance to register her with the college yet though, so for the past week I’ve had no internet in my room. The result: Less time wasted browsing mindlessly and no useless TV-watching sessions. I do miss my YouTube mornings though.
That’s all for now. Fluffiness (and edginess) to come. In outfit form. You’ll see.