hello! happy february! it’s been a month now, so i’ve decided to revisit my new year’s resolutions to check in on my progress:
1. postpone certain procrastinatory activities until homework is complete
i’ve been trying a new method that i call the ‘cycle method’ – i star tasks that absolutely must be completed and do a bit of each, rotating through the list. at the end of each cycle is something more fun that still needs to be done (like writing this blog post, or cleaning a section of my room). it seems to be working so far!
2. find more breakfast food options
i’m making a list, and possibly a weekly calendar. my greatest new find is quesadillas, or anything in a wrap form.
3. expand my cooking repertoire
ian and i made fajitas…
4. distribute holiday presents/cards in a timely manner
so far i’m two for two. let the valentines day card-making challenge begin!
5. come up with some sort of exercise routine
i’ve done nearly nothing with this so far. i just walk more quickly sometimes. small steps (but actually large steps, literally…).
6. give myself a weekly allowance of $10
this didn’t work. i went into debt too quickly to feed myself and so forth…instead i’ve been keeping a detailed spreadsheet of my purchases and hopefully i’ll come up with a better plan from there. trying to work on the tight budget for a couple of weeks did make me quite mindful of what i need verses what i want, and that did help.
7. read 50 new books <— this is my main one
8. see 10 plays
none yet. but i’m seeing the student-directed play this week!
9. watch 43 movies
i saw ‘sherlock holmes,’ ‘fever pitch,’ ‘hamlet 2,’ ‘the princess and the frog,’ and ‘he’s just not that into you.’ pretty good for movie-shy me.
10. get training in shakespearean acting
i’m working on applying to some summer programs. i’m also in a play now, and although not shakespearean, it’s great to get feedback from a director and to sit in on other actors’ rehearsals to watch them develop.
11. visit 10 museums/aquariums/historic sites
i saw harry potter: the exhibition at the museum of boston!
12. consistently put nerdfighter notes in john green books at bookstores
i’ve left several at some barnes & nobles around the area and i even got a response from someone! it was really sweet.
13. post on my blog more regularly
i’m really trying to post at least once a week and to make up for the weeks that i don’t!
14. attend 10 concerts
i’ve been to two school concerts so far: jazz, blues, & percussion and the voice recital. i also performed in/attended a concert by the nec prep school called ‘today’s youth perform today’s music.’
15. reread through the potter series
i’m still at the beginning of sorcerer’s stone, but i did start!